Guided tours of the Haven will resume March 22, 2022; tours are now open for reservation. Tours will be available on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings at 10am and 11am.
To request a tour, please email email@example.com with “Tour request”, the date and time desired, the type of tour requested, and the number in your group in the subject line. Tours must be requested at least 7 days in advance of the desired date. Thank you.
We offer different types of tours to meet varied interests. The content and fees are as follows, with all fees supporting the garden’s operation. The general tours are also available in Spanish; please indicate this preference when requesting your tour.
General tours (all ages welcome, but content is most suitable for 12 and older)
The fee is $8 per person for anyone 3 or older. Tours last 45 minutes and include the following topics:
- History and purpose of the garden: concept to reality, how it’s used, supported, and maintained
- Honey bees and other bee pollinators: biology, economic importance, why they’re in trouble and what’s being done to help
- Plants: what is pollination, how the garden’s plants are selected and grown
- Bees and food production: key crops and how they are pollinated, UC Davis research, ideas for home food gardens
- What you can do: applying principles of bee biology and ecology in your own garden, how to build and maintain a bee garden, how to observe and study bees, supporting bee outreach and research
School group tours (ages 6 to high school)
The fee is $5 per person, including adults. We require at least 1 adult per 15 students, with a maximum of 35 students per group. Tours last 45 minutes. Content is grade-appropriate and is based on the Science Content Standards for California Public Schools. Topics include:
- Why bees, pollination, and the Haven are important
- Bee and flower biology and structure and how they are related
- Overview of common bee and plant species in the garden
- Student collection and observation of live bees. This is done safely with adult supervision.
Pre-school group tours (ages 3 to 6)
The fee is $3 per person, including adults. We require at least 1 adult per 10 students, with a maximum of 35 students per group. Tours last 30 minutes. Content is age-appropriate and includes:
- Why bees and other insects are important
- Student observation and drawing of bees. This is done safely with adult supervision.
The fee is $10 per person, with a maximum of 20 people per group. This is more intensive tour, with more detailed discussion of plant materials and how bees use plants than is provided in our general tour. Tours last 90 minutes.
- Target audience is garden or nature clubs and others with a keen interest in plants, insects, and natural systems
- Overview of the Haven’s plants and how they are selected and grown
- Bee garden design and maintenance
- Bee gardening resources
- Common bees in urban flower and food gardens
- View inside the honey bee hive, weather permitting
To request a tour, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Tour request”, the date and time desired, the type of tour requested, and the number in your group in the subject line. Tours must be requested at least 7 days in advance of the desired date. Messages without this information in the subject line may not be answered in a timely manner.
Please allow one week for a reply. Due to limited docent availability, requesting a tour is not a guarantee that your tour will be scheduled. All scheduled tours will be confirmed; please check your spam filter and mailbox quota if you don’t receive a reply. We appreciate your understanding.
Cancellation policy: bees are not active during cool, wet, windy, or cloudy weather. Due to our exposed location, the garden is often windier than other parts of campus or Davis. Under these conditions, however, other garden features such as plants and bee houses can still be observed. Should you wish to cancel your tour, we require at notice at least two hours prior to your scheduled tour time. To cancel and receive a refund of your tour fee, please email us. No refunds will be given for tours cancelled with less than two hours notice or for no-shows.